Sunday, September 4, 2011

Time Marches On

Sometimes, when life gets going so fast, I feel like I need to crawl into bed and hide under the covers to make everything slow down (...because obviously, time stops when I go to bed.  I'm that important...in my mind.)   Life has been like that lately.  It seems to be zooming by and I am not able to catch up with it all.  My little bloggy world has suffered because of it.  Not only have I not been able to write on my blog, I also haven't taken the time to catch up on the blogs I follow.

I have learned that time marches on, though, whether I am hiding under the covers or not.  So, now it is time to play catch up.  My last post was in June.  How sad. 

On August 25, I started my last semester of classes.  (Seriously, this time, no more school.  I'm tired of being in school.  It's been a long, long time.)   On September 1, I started student teaching.  As a special education major, my degree is K-12.  I have to student teach in two placements for around 7 week each. 

My first placement is at the Children's Center in Bethany, Oklahoma.  I can't describe the facility better than they already have, so watch this video to learn a little bit about the place that has stolen my heart. 


I have been there only two days already and I have fallen in love.  I wish I could tell you about each and every one of my students. (There are 23.)  Unfortunately, because it is a hospital, everything is extremely confidential and I can't share. 

I have already learned so much, though.  Teaching at the Children's Center is not just teaching.  There is so much involved with just getting students to class each hour.  Some students need oxygen tanks.  Some students have all kinds of extra equipment for their tracheotomy.  Most students come with a pulse oximeter that monitors the heart rate and oxygen of the student. 

It is so much to take in and so much to learn.  I'll keep you updated on how its going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To all my friends, old and new
I'd love to hear a word from you!